Becoming a professional magician is no easy feat. It requires dedication, practice, and a lot of hard work. But with the right guidance and resources, anyone can become a successful magician. The first step to becoming a professional magician is to research the profession.
Budding wizards should take the time to read up on what life as a professional magician would be like. This will help them understand the expectations and challenges they may face. The next step is to practice acting in front of people. The best way to gain experience is to offer your services free of charge.
This will give you the opportunity to hone your skills and build your confidence in front of an audience. Even if it bombs, the host of the event won't lose money in most cases. You can also offer to show up at retirement communities, adult day health centers, toddler parties, and similar venues through friends and family. Mix old tricks you know by heart with new experiments.
Have a couple of waits as backup in case you see the audience losing interest - something that results in a cake on their face is sure to please the crowd! Once you have the confidence to perform in public, you can start booking low-wage gigs through church groups, community birthdays, and maybe even some low-level venues. Many magicians also earn a good amount of money on the street. Over time, you'll have practiced enough with both your tricks and a crowd to play on your own as a true artist and business owner. Before you pick up a deck of cards, put on a cape, or pull a rabbit out of a hat, it's important that you learn the skills needed to achieve incredible tricks from those who have already done it. Go to the library or connect to the Internet and order as many magic books or DVDs as you can get your hands on.
YouTube is also a great place to start, as magicians often upload tutorials for specific tricks on their channels. If you really want to improve your magic skills, consider taking lessons from someone in your community. Private lessons are an excellent way for aspiring illusionists to hone their skills. If you want to become a good magician, here are 10 tips to get you on your way to success:
- Practice: The key to success in magic is broad practice. Buy a couple of tricks and practice them in front of the mirror until you can do them automatically without having to think. Then you can devote your mind to the presentation.
- Find Your Niche: Once you have found your niche, you must constantly reinforce what that means you are as a professional magician.
- Create Your Own Tricks: While you should definitely start by learning the tricks already designed by others, the best magicians are the ones who create and perform their own.
- Learn From Others: YouTube videos and books on magic are great resources for learning how to perform magic tricks.
- Take Classes: If you're serious about becoming a magician, consider taking classes from someone in your community.
- Perform at Charity Events: The first great place to practice your magic is by offering your free time at charity events.
- Elicit an Emotional Response: Being a magician isn't just about doing magic; it's about eliciting an emotional response in your audience.
Through magic camps, personal classes, and tutoring sessions on Skype, I can help aspiring magicians improve their skills so that they can be the best they can be.